September 8, 2021 Ongoing Projects
Full name of project: Supporting the Introduction of Waste Separation and Recycling Practices in Racha-Lechkhumi Kvemo Svaneti Region of Georgia
- Project Duration: August 2021 – November 2021
- Project Partners: PEM Consultant
- Description: The project aims to assist the municipalities of Racha Lechkhumi and Lower Svaneti region to evaluate progress made based on the Municipal Waste Management Plan and to further support the realization of the commitments made in the Municipal Waste Management Plans towards piloting and cooperative models for waste recycling. In the framework of the project, Racha-Lechkhumi Kvemo Svaneti will be provided with relevant tools to start updating the Municipal Waste Management Plans and to assist the municipalities in addressing the main barriers hampering the implementation of efficient separate collection and recycling schemes. The project targets community of Racha Lechkhumi and Lower Svaneti Region, key municipal and regional stakeholders involved in the waste management, school children and teachers, and substance farmers. Project Focuses on capacity building and supporting partnership of municipal authorities on the implementation of best practices in waste separation and recycling and composting; support for actions aimed at awareness-raising of the local population; promote experience sharing between the municipalities and enhancement of inter-municipal cooperation in waste management on the regional level.
- Project Results: assess progress made with the existing Municipal Waste Management Plan and barriers for its implementation; develop and introduce an inter-municipal model for waste separate collection and recycling in Racha Lechkhumi and Lower Svaneti region; procure, handover and place promo bins with the promo information about the waste separation and recycling and pilot separated waste collection; raise Ppublic awareness regarding waste separation and recycling through the distribution of educational materials, lectures for school pupils, and ToTs for the teachers; promote home composting practices at family farms.
- Budget: 52 500 EURO
- Donor: European Union, KFW Development Bank